As a teenager my friend A and I would annoy the waiting staff in Captain America's on North Main Street by sitting in there for a whole afternoon and ordering only those golden breadcrumbed bites.
Thankfully, eating a low-carb diet doesn't mean having to give these up. Here is S's take on a brilliant starter or snack option.
1 Block of Mozzarella
1/2 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
1-2 cups preferred cooking oil (vegetable/ sunflower oil is fine)
Garlic powder to taste
Salt to taste
1. Cut mozzarella block into 'sticks'.
2. Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl.
3. Mix dry ingredients on a plate.
4. Dip the mozzarella sticks in the egg and roll in dry ingredients.
5. Re-dip the mozzarella sticks in the egg and repeat coating.
6. Place the sticks in a freezer for 30mins (This will prevent them leaking during frying).
(mozzarella sticks after freezing)
6. Heat the oil in a pan and deep fry the mozzarella sticks until golden brown. This should take 1-2 mins.
Serve with a dollop of sugar-free (diabetic) jam or a handful of fresh redcurrants.