This Pork Belly salad is a great option for warmer days, and is my favourite type of food to make- the type that you can leave in the oven and forget about for a few hours. The barbeque sauce gives the meat a smokey, sweet taste and pulled pork is always impressive to serve to guests.
Pro-Tip: If you're looking for a salad dressing to go with this I'd recommend Nash 19's homemade (restaurant-made?) Citrus and Poppy Seed Dressing. You can pick up a bottle in the shop for €3.95 and it lasts in the fridge for ages.
1 Pork Belly
1. Preheat the oven to 160/320 degrees. Place the pork belly on a roasting tray, with the fat side facing up. For this recipe I don't season the pork at all before putting it in the oven, just put it straight in.
2. The cooking time will vary according to the size of the pork belly, but an average size joint (about 1 kg) will take roughly 4 hours at 160/320 degrees. You will know it's ready when the meat comes away easily.
3. Once you take it out of the oven, turn the heat up to 200/395 degrees.
4. Using two forks, pull the meat apart into stringy pieces. Place in an oven-proof dish.
5. Coat the meat sparingly in your choice of barbeque sauce, I like Jack Daniels, Try to choose a brand with a low sugar content.
6. Put the pork back into the oven for ten minutes to crisp.
7. Once ready, allow to cool slightly and serve with a mixed leaf salad. If you'd like to add a bit of texture sprinkle with a few roughly crushed cashews.